Thursday, December 18, 2008

Airport time - not at all

Ladies and Gentleman!
Good evening, we have arrived at Dubai international airport; local time is (now) 21:00 h....

When I arrived it was noon. Before that I had the most scary taxi drive in Beijing - at 2 o' clock in the night to the airport. Getting a cab was no problem at all, there was just one arriving when I came to the east gate. But, it's true what I have read before - these cab drivers are totally overworked.
He left sometimes the street, was yawning all the time and his eyes closed from while to while - I was really happy as we arrived at the airport. At the airport I was kind of the first passenger that day... also because of the online check in everything went pretty fast.

In the plane there was one group of workers - smelling like hell it was really disgusting and the cabin crew used air freshener a couple of times; didn't really help though... Before the landing some of these guys even put on their helmets... I don't know... but this was the only distracting thing during the flight.

Then Dubai! I used the last hours to get out of the airport and do some sightseeing - just an overview. Getting a visa, which is basically a stamp in your passport, is easy for Germans, no application, no fee, no nothing. Perfect.
Dubai is crazy. A big construction place. Every building tries to look better, nicer, more unique than the other one. Of course I saw the "Sword of Dubai", went to "The Palm" and to the "old" Dubai. There will follow more, including a lot of pictures here.

So far for now. CU - some of you soon!

Lars

Lars in Dubai - the creek

The "Sword"

No comments: