Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Finally: Peking Opera


Walking around in central-southern Beijing, looking for the Liyuan Theatre. Found it! It is in the Qianmen Jianguo Hotel about ca. 30 min wolk southern of Hepingmen subway station. At first I thought to take a taxi, but I am just getting so cheap here and seeing a little bit more of Beijing for the last time was even better. For example the fire car which was stuck at an interseption because no one let it through... or all the people dancing and singing on the street in the evening although is is really cold.
Peking Opera was one of the last things missing, and I am glad I went there. The Liyuan Theatre is a more touristic place, but they have translations at least and that is very helpfull.
It is a coulorful event with singing, dancing, acrobatics and conversation. It impressed me really as it is so different from theatre I know and the Peking Operas I have seen on televisions can't transport the feeling of sitting directly in the theatre, smelling the orange flavor and hearing the instruments, the singing and watching amazing stunts.
The hall was quite empty as it is Monday I guess, but so I got at least a good seat. One can even sit directly in front of the stage and enjoy some tea ceremony and even peking duck etc. while watching. 160 Yuan (with discound) was quite worth it! (Pictures) I have also some videos for those who are intrested.

Besides this, my stuff is packed, I am ready to leave, I think I am under 20 Kg luggage, and I already kind of know what to do in Dubai.
Its a little bit sad athmosphere - Sam left this morning - tomorrow me (well Wednesday but at 7 AM) - we all don't know if and when we gonna see each other again. But thats just how it is...

PS: I updated some of my pictures - added some campus impression pictures etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, you finally made it to Peking opera. How was it?